Fulfill Your Dreams

Fulfill Your Dreams
Only You Can Change Your Life

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Invest in You!

There's no better time than now to invest in you!

Take a moment to assess who you are. Are there areas you'd like to improve? Let me tell you of a time when I chose to invest in me.

Six years ago. My self-confidence and self-esteem were sadly lacking. I had come through a rough time in my life and I knew I needed to do something. But I had no idea what I needed to do. My first step was to read some self-help books. Our local library has books on tape and CD so I was thrilled that I could listen to them during the day while at work.

One day, as I was listening to a book by Cheryl Richardson, she mentioned that she'd gained public speaking skills through a group called Toastmasters. I'd never heard of it, but I was intrigued. That evening I 'googled' Toastmasters and found a club right here in my hometown. And they had a meeting that night.

Six years later, the rest is history.

However, that's not the best part. The best part is that I had no idea what I was getting into. Really. All I knew was that the people in the Burlington club were the kind of people I wanted to hang out with. So I joined. Later I found that joining a Toastmasters club was the best investment I could make in me. I found a freedom as I gained public speaking skills, confidence and my self-esteem grew.

Before long, I began to enjoy interacting with people on a personal level. Then I began looking forward to each time I was scheduled to give a prepared speech. (Believe me, early on, I really dreaded it...and, boy, did it make my stomach ache)!

Now, I feel honored when someone asks me to speak to their group. I think back to where I was and see how far I've come. And I look forward to the future and what it holds. I can't wait to see where this 'road' will take me!

Find a way to invest in yourself today. You never know where it'll take you.

Enjoy the ride.

Jean

Contact me for more information on what Toastmasters can do for you or visit www.toastmasters.org.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post Jean! Your work will help many people realize that only you are responsible for your own life. If you want things to change for the better you must take action to make changes happen. Investing in yourself truly is the very best investment you can make. Keep up the good work Jean you are inspirational.
Jim Tudor - DTM