Fulfill Your Dreams

Fulfill Your Dreams
Only You Can Change Your Life

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Best Laid Plans

What is it they say about the "best laid plans of mice and men"? And just who are 'they' anyway?

This past week I found myself in the North Carolina mountains. Even before Spring fully arrives, the scenery is still beautiful to this city girl's eyes. However, this wasn't a planned trip nor was it a spur-of-the-moment vacation. I found myself there because my son had been admitted to one of the local hospitals. Yes, the "best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

As I drove the 4+ hours to get there, several cliches came to mind: 'When life gives you lemons, make lemonade', and 'Every cloud has a silver lining'. So, in addition to the concern I felt for my son, I knew he was getting the best of care, therefore, during my stay, I took a few moments to make some lemonade and search for silver linings.

My efforts paid off. Not the first day I arrived, but later in the week as I felt more confident in my son's recovery, I began to notice a nearby wonderful creation, the Blue Ridge. If you've never seen this range of mountains, they're aptly named as they really do give the impression of being various shades of blue against the sky when you view them from a distance. Driving up the Blue Ridge Parkway to get a closer look, I took a few short walks to find some peace among gurgling brooks, daffodils, and a view that would take your breath away. I breathed in the crisp morning air, refreshing both my body and soul. The moments that I took to rejuvenate myself that day were not only a gift to me but a gift to those around me. I could be a better person, a better friend, a better mom when I allowed myself to embrace the peace of nature's offering.

What can you do today to find peace for your soul? You may not need to travel to the mountains or the beach. You may want to simply step out into your own backyard, close your eyes, listen to the singing of the birds, feel the warmth of the sun, breathe in the clean air.

Whatever is happening in your life, now is the time to take a moment for you.

If you look close enough, you just might find that your cloud has a silver lining.

Jean

No comments: