Fulfill Your Dreams

Fulfill Your Dreams
Only You Can Change Your Life

Monday, September 3, 2012

Something Is At Work Here

Fate?
Coincidence?
Or maybe something more.
In my home, we use natural gas for our heating unit and water heater. So, one summer day a few weeks ago, when there was no hot water, my first thought was Oh no! Cold showers! My second thought was I hope I don't have to replace the water heater. Besides, it didn't seem like that long ago, maybe a few years, since this water heater was purchased. Surely, they last longer than that.

I called the gas company to come and check it. Now, you might have guessed that I would first check it out a bit myself. But, no. After all, that thing is down in the creepy basement and, frankly, that basement with its dark corners and crawl spaces, creeps me out. (Hence, it's 'creepy.') So, let someone who's getting paid to creep around down there check it out. (Some days I'm such a girl.)

The guy from the gas company came over and simply re-lit the pilot light. Voila! Hot water! He took a look around and couldn't figure out why the pilot light had gone out. Everything seemed to be working just fine. And this is where fate, coincidence or something more comes in.

I had followed him down to the basement. (It's never as creepy when someone else is with you and in broad daylight.) We talked about the water heater and then he voiced another concern. "I think you need to have a heating & air technician check out your furnace there." The furnace is the heating unit that I refer to as the big, green monster. It's a big green metal box-like thing that's been in the house longer than I have. So when he pointed out the soot on the side and voiced his concern, I took heed. I called Steve who regularly services it each year. And, every year, he's a little surprised that the old thing is still alive and kicking.

When he came out to check it, this is what he found, minus the technician lingo: the big, green monster had to go. Not only that, but it was emitting carbon monoxide. Steve told us that meant, if we had turned it on, sure it would have heated the house, but we might have died in our sleep. The whole family.

The thought of my family members at risk, in our home, which should be a safe haven, was sobering.

Now, I don't know why the pilot light went out on the water heater. I don't know why the man from the gas company just happened to notice the soot on the heating unit. All I know is that this series of events may have saved not just my life, but all our lives.

There's no doubt. Something is at work here.

Some people will call it fate.
Some may call it a series of coincidences.
Forever, I'll call it a God thing.

It's true: Romans 8:28 says, "All things work together for good to them that love God..." In the beginning, having cold water was a minor frustration. (At least until I stepped into the cold shower, then major frustration!) Thinking of buying a new water heater was a bit more frustrating. In the end, replacing the heating unit, despite the inconvience and financial burden, was a blessing.

In my heart, there is no doubt.
It's a God thing.

Keeping the faith,
Jean




No comments: