Fulfill Your Dreams

Fulfill Your Dreams
Only You Can Change Your Life

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Making a BIG Difference, One Step at a Time

It never goes away. But what if 'it' could?

'It' is Juvenile Diabetes. And it affects millions of people every day. People like Rachel. As a baby, she was sick a lot. Her parents didn't know what to do. Tests were run. Nothing showed up. No one knew why she wasn't eating or walking anymore. Finally, her dad reached out to an uncle in the medical field who asked the right questions. A urine test was done and, at only 14 months old, Rachel was diagnosed with T1D or Type 1 diabetes. T1D is an autoimmune disease that comes on suddenly and can strike children or adults at any age. If you or someone you know has diabetes, you know it requires watching your diet carefully and testing your blood sugar 6 times or more a day.

While the disease is unfortunate, the diagnosis came just in time for Rachel. Without it, and immediate treatment, little Rachel would have died. Today, she is a beautiful 12 year old who loves life but she does admit, "Living with diabetes is hard at times. I've had to miss out on some stuff with my friends--like sleepovers, and sometimes it's hard to always be careful of what I eat. It is hard to participate in sports sometimes because you have to keep checking your blood-sugar and get snacks so you don't go low. I have to go to the nurse 3 times a day at school which makes is hard to keep on top of what is going on. I have good friends and brothers that watch out for me and make sure I am doing okay. I love having my pump--it is so much better than when I had to take shots. I am grateful for all that I CAN do, but I look forward to the day we have a cure."

Here's the deal: JDRF, the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, is searching for a cure. Rachel hopes to see that happen in her lifetime. I'd like to be a part of making that happen. And I'd like for you to join me.
This year, I'm not asking for a lot. I know many of us have felt the crunch of the current economy. I'm only asking if you would donate $1. If everyone will do just that, we, as a collective group, can make a BIG difference. Click here to donate now.

On October 6, 2012 I will be walking for the cure in Elon, North Carolina. I am part of the LabCorp Walkers team, a group of individuals, just like you, that care enough to make a BIG difference, one step at a time.
As the leader of the type 1 diabetes community, JDRF unifies global efforts to cure, treat and prevent T1D. I feel pretty good about that and that's why I have supported them for the past 10 years.

If you would like to read more of Rachel's story and others like her, click here. And if you cannot offer monetary support at this time (or even if you can), I'd like to ask a personal favor: how about saying a prayer, right now, for those suffering from diabetes? You CAN make a difference!

Thank you for your support!
God bless,
Jean Bailey Robor

No comments: