Fulfill Your Dreams

Fulfill Your Dreams
Only You Can Change Your Life

Saturday, July 26, 2014

#31DaysOfKindess It's On!

It all started when my friend World Champ Ryan Avery presented a challenge. For those of you who know me personally, you know, when there's a challenge like this, I just can't resist. And resist, I could not. 

Ryan said (or, if he'd been raised here in North Carolina, he would have said) "Hey, y'all, come join me in this #31DaysOfKindess challenge!" Actually, what he did was spur us on not only to rise up to the challenge, but to share what we were doing on social media using the hashtag #31DaysOfKindness. Obviously, this does two things: 1) It keeps us accountable and on task, 2) It keeps us connected with others participating in the challenge. Honestly, I have dearly loved searching on #31DaysOfKindness and finding out what others are doing. (As you can see, just from this Twitter feed, I'm lovin' it.)
It's been amazing what is happening in my own life. It's certainly proving the wise old words of the Bible true: It's more blessed to give than to receive. On Ryan's page, when he wrote 'Let's make a difference in the lives of thousands...' I wonder if he realized those 'thousands' he spoke of included us, the ones he challenged. 

For instance, on Day 1 we hand wrote  thank you letters. I couldn't tell you, prior to this, how long it has been since I wrote a handwritten letter. Before the days of email, I would write at least a letter (or more) a week. That just fell by the wayside once sending an email or text message became the norm. We share and receive information in real time or within seconds. Why even bother writing a letter where the recipient won't get it for a day or two? Here's the beauty of it. Keep sending the emails and texts, but when it comes to expressing something heartfelt, like gratitude, honor that person by sending a handwritten letter. It will make a difference. The cool thing is, the day after the challenge, a woman whom I greatly admire bought my lunch and shared some valuable business tips. You guessed it. I sent another handwritten thank you letter. 

I'd say this challenge is not going to last just 31 days. The joy we're bringing to others, whether buying a coffee, sharing an article, offering an apology, these are the things that are making a difference. And there's just no stopping the kindness in the human heart once it gets fired up. 

If you're a part of the challenge, watch out. After 31 days I have a feeling you'll see life, and the people in it, a little differently, and you'll be seeking out ways to be kind. 

If you're not part of the challenge, it's never too late to step in and be kind. 

For a look at what happened on the Day 8: Give a book to a friend challenge, take a look at the video I posted on my Facebook page. (And while you're there, friend me.) 

Let's do what we members of the human race do best, be kind. Anything less is not enough. 

Rock on, 
Jean 

As a motivational humorous speaker, Jean Bailey Robor is available for corporate, civic and faith-based events. Book her here



No comments: