Fulfill Your Dreams

Fulfill Your Dreams
Only You Can Change Your Life

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Spaghetti...No...Squash...No...Spaghetti Squash...YES!

I’m not the most adventurous cook. I was raised in the South (North Carolina, to be exact) and I enjoy the Southern cuisine I grew up with: fried chicken, collards, home-made biscuits, mashed potatoes, etc. (I’m getting hungry just thinking about it!) In fact, I’d never even heard of spaghetti squash back then. I mean, in my daddy’s garden, the only kind of squash he grew was yellow squash. It was delicious, whether momma stewed it with onions or fried it. Yum!

The first time I had spaghetti squash was in a restaurant, Ruby Tuesdays.  I’d heard of it. I’d seen it. It intrigued me, the way it looked like pasta but wasn’t. I was curious. And it was good.

Fast forward a few years. I figured it was time to try my hand at cooking a spaghetti squash, especially since we no longer have a Ruby Tuesdays in town. First, I went to the grocery store and picked up two, just in case I butchered the first one. Next, I Googled ‘How to Cook a Spaghetti Squash.’ Not taking any chances!

If you’re interested, here’s what I did. It’s easy, simple, and even if you’ve never cooked one before, trust me, you can do it.

  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Microwave the spaghetti squash on HIGH for 5 minutes. (Trust me, you need to do this. It softens it up enough for you to cut it in two. Otherwise, just try sticking a knife in it...it's nearly impossible for me to slice! Not to mention I got the knife stuck.) 
  3. Cut the spaghetti squash lengthwise in two pieces. Scrape out the 'guts' and seeds. (It reminds me of the inside of a pumpkin, which should be no surprise since a squash is sort of a cousin to a pumpkin anyway as they are in the Cucurbita family.) 
  4. Place both halves, cut side down, on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray (preferably olive oil).
  5. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
  6. Remove from oven and scrape out the 'spaghetti.'
  7. In a frying pan, melt 3 Tbsp. of butter. Add spaghetti squash. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat, turning occasionally. 
  8. Add garlic powder, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese to taste. (Be generous!)


I was so surprised at how much one spaghetti squash made! And it was so delicious! The family loved it! Just be sure to be generous with your seasonings. (I know, I said that once and I'm saying it again; it's that important.) I’m convinced that spaghetti squash takes on whatever flavor you give it so mix and match and find whatever works for you. I know folks who actually eat it like spaghetti with pasta sauce.


The best part is, unlike eating ‘real’ pasta, you don’t have a full, bloated feeling after. And a cup only has 31 calories as opposed to 221 calories for a cup of spaghetti noodles.  (That’s while it's naked, not including what you add to it so keep that in mind.)

For this less-than-adventurous cook, this was definitely a WIN!

Try it. And feel free to let me know how it works out for you and any variations you try.




Jean Bailey Robor is that “No Buts About It” expert who simply wants you to lead happier and more successful lives. Getting past what’s holding you back and changing your mindset can put you on that path to better living. Click here to book Jean for your next event!


No comments: