Fulfill Your Dreams

Fulfill Your Dreams
Only You Can Change Your Life

Saturday, June 4, 2016

What is it about “FREE” and the Chick-fil-a App?

He said, “If it’s free, it’s for me!” quite frequently. So much so, that, even though Johnny’s been gone almost 15 years, I still remember that (“tagline,” if you will) when I think of him. And it makes me smile.

What is it about the word “free” that draws us or repels us? Think of this: 1. You receive an email from an unknown source with the capitalized “FREE” in the subject matter. If you’re like me, you immediately consider it a scam, junk, someone trying to entice us so they can sell us later on down the road. 2. You see a new app from your favorite restaurant. If you download it, you’ll get a free chicken sandwich. Again, if you’re like me, you download that sucker. Free food! Woohoo!

Chances are, if we own a device to download the app, we can afford to buy the chicken sandwich. So what’s the big deal?

People do business with those they like, know and trust. An errant email from an unknown source breaks all those rules. I don’t know them or their business; therefore, there’s no relationship to base on like and trust. If I get a similar email from a known source, especially someone I have a personal connection with, I tend to trust it. Oh, this speaker coach is providing free resources. Cool. I know they also have products for sale and there will probably be a mention of them at the end of the article, video, podcast or e-book, but I’m cool with that. I know they aren’t going to share my email or scam me. That’s where the like and trust comes in.

Three days after Chik-fil-a introduced their One App, over a million people had downloaded it. A million! In three days! (Yeah, that makes me one in a million.) Obviously, there is a lot of “like, know and trust” going on. Their brand is known for reaching out to families, with their cow-costumed employees, Daddy-Daughter Date Nights, and how employees treat each customer with respect. They make it easy to like, know and trust their business.

So, here I am, Chik-fil-a app at the ready to “cash in” my free chicken sandwich. And yes, those receipts stuffed in my purse? Free sausage biscuits from Biscuitville from taking their survey. (I like, know and trust them, too!) Johnny would have loved it.

Maybe I eat too much fast food, y’all.

But that’s a story for another day…

Rock on,
Jean Bailey Robor
That “No Buts About It” Expert


Jean Bailey Robor is an award-winning speaker and author of “She Has a Big ‘But’! Get Past Your Excuses & Realize Your Dreams.” Book her for your next event through www.SpeakerMatch.com or email Jean@JeanBaileyRobor.com

No comments: