Fulfill Your Dreams

Fulfill Your Dreams
Only You Can Change Your Life

Saturday, May 21, 2011

It's the End of the World as We Know It

This week, I was on vacation at the beautiful North Carolina shore. When I’m on vacation, I take a break from everything. It’s the best way to rejuvenate my spirit and ensure that I’m more productive when I return to the real world. So, in the few moments I did turn on the television, I stayed away from the news channels. Mostly. Until my last vacation day when, while channel surfing, something caught my attention. It was (drum roll, please) the end (dramatic pause) of the world.

As I took my last walk along the coast, which in theory could be my ‘last’ walk if Harold Camping’s prediction is right, I pondered what I had heard. Apparently, as with any doomsday prediction there were people who whole-heartedly believed it and people who found it to be a good excuse to go out and party. Then there are those of us who find it interesting, not really believable, but an opportunity to reflect on questions such as, “If this were my last day on Earth, how would I spend it so I would leave with no regrets?”

Feeling the sand between my toes and the sun on my face, I had to admit that I would have no regrets in leaving. I know, without a doubt, that those I love (my family and friends) know that I love them. I harbor no ill will toward anyone in my heart. And when it comes down to the end, the fact that I never owned a Lexus or a Versace won’t really matter all that much.

I realized what really matters is my relationship with God’s wonderful creations- people. It’s true that, when it comes to material things, you can’t take it with you. But the way we treat others, that’s what we’ll leave behind as our legacy. For good or for bad. So, I had to ask myself: Am I leaving behind a legacy of kindness and forgiveness? Are you? And if not, what can you do about it?

Realize that it’s not too late to make a change. Maybe, like me, you don’t really believe the world will end on 5/21/2011 at 6pm. But, if it did, wouldn’t it be great to make your exit performing an act of kindness for someone else rather than drowning your sorrows and regrets in a bottle? And, if it isn’t the end, how much better will it be to wake up the next day with a joyful heart rather than a painful hang-over?

Is this the end of the world as we know it? I hope so. Let tomorrow be a better day, a day where kindness and forgiveness abound. It doesn’t take a disastrous prediction to make that happen. All it takes is you to either make a change or affect a change in someone else. You CAN make a difference!

Now, just in case you’re wondering why I don’t buy in to these types of apocalyptic predictions, it’s because the Bible clearly states that no one, not even the angels or Jesus Christ himself, knows the hour when Christ will return. Only God knows. (Refer to Matthew 24:36 and Mark 13:32). For me, it’s that simple.

Of course, I may just wait a few days to cut the lawn. After all, no use wasting my time. So, as I hum that tune, “It’s the End of the World as We Know It,” I feel fine.

Jean

2 comments:

Bailey Moore said...

I love your conclusion! You are such a good writer, mom : )

Monte said...

Well it could mean that it really did happen and no one was pure enough to be taken up. Maybe the world has gotten so bad we all just didn't pass muster and everyone is doomed to ride out the total destruction that will occur by October (According to the reverend)!